Hi, How Can We Help You?

Property Insurance Claims in F...

Property Insurance Claims in Florida – What You Need to Know

If you are a homeowner in Florida chances are you pay for insurance to cover your home and property.  This insurance is typically required if you have a mortgage on your home, and your premiums are usually rolled into your monthly mortgage payments.  It is important to request a copy of your homeowners’ insurance policy from your insurance company to review it and make sure you have appropriate coverage.  If your home has been damaged, there are several things you should keep in mind when dealing with your property insurance company.

First, many homeowners do not know that they can hire an attorney at no cost to them.  Florida law requires your insurance company to pay for your attorney’s fees if your attorney is successful in resolving a disputed claim.  Therefore, if your home has been damaged, you should speak with an attorney at the Law Offices of Spicer & Chambers to see if the damage is covered under your homeowners’ insurance policy.  This inquiry is confidential and completely free.

Second, insurance companies have attorneys working for them and you should have an attorney experienced in litigating property insurance claims to level the playing field.  This is important because property insurance companies frequently deny coverage when coverage may be available to you.  Property insurance companies may try to avoid paying your claim by explaining that they have investigated the damage and have determined that the damage is not extensive enough to exceed the amount of your deductible.  Property insurance claims adjusters may also tell you that the damage to your property was caused by something that you do not have insurance coverage for, such as lack of maintenance or normal wear and tear.  To support their denial of your claim, your property insurance company frequently hires professionals to examine your property and provide a report discussing the damage and why the insurance company is not responsible for covering the damage.  If you have received a denial of claim from your property insurance company you should consult with an attorney for an opinion on whether the denial was justified, or if the claim should be pursued.

Third, property insurance companies will frequently try to settle your claim for less than the full amount of the loss.  Your property insurance company will provide you with a breakdown of what they believe the value of your property is, the cost of repairs or replacement, and the amount they have determined your loss to be.  Your property insurance company may even send you a check for the amount it has determined your loss to be without any prior communication or contact with you about your claim.  You should speak with an attorney at the Law Offices of Spicer & Chambers before cashing any check from your insurance company and before signing any paperwork.

The Law Offices of Spicer & Chambers offers free consultations to discuss your property insurance claim.  If retained, the Law Offices of Spicer & Chambers will represent you against your property insurance company at no out of pocket cost to you.  We are available to consult with you over the telephone, in our office, or at the location of the damaged property.  We invite you to contact our office to inquire further about our experience in handling property insurance claims and property insurance litigation on behalf of insureds, and to discuss how we may be of assistance to you.

Share Post