Homeowners in Florida have a statutory Bill of Rights when making property damage insurance claims. All homeowners making property claims with an insurance company should know their rights. If you have any questions about your rights, please contact the Law Offices of Spicer & Chambers, P.A. We offer a completely free consultation, and if hired to represent you, will do so at no out of pocket cost to you.
YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO:
1. Receive from your insurance company an acknowledgment of your reported claim within 14 days after the time you communicated the claim.
2. Upon written request, receive from your insurance company within 30 days after you have submitted a complete proof-of-loss statement to your insurance company, confirmation that your claim is covered in full, partially covered, or denied, or receive a written statement that your claim is being investigated.
3. Within 90 days, subject to any dual interest noted in the policy, receive full settlement payment for your claim or payment of the undisputed portion of your claim, or your insurance company’s denial of your claim.
4. Free mediation of your disputed claim by the Florida Department of Financial Services, Division of Consumer Services, under most circumstances and subject to certain restrictions.
5. Neutral evaluation of your disputed claim, if your claim is for damage caused by a sinkhole and is covered by your policy.
6. Contact the Florida Department of Financial Services, Division of Consumer Services’ toll-free helpline for assistance with any insurance claim or questions pertaining to the handling of your claim.